The first Birthday in Korea is known as DOL. Like most countries, many years ago the most dangerous time for children due to disease was infancy. If a baby survived their first year the chances of a long life improved greatly. This is why so many cultures have a big One Year Old celebration.
Luckily today survival is not so much of an issue and this allowed Omma, Abba & Me together with Riley and her Omma & Abba to say thank-you to all our friends and relations for their great support in the journey to two special families.
I thought Omma looked particularly beautiful dressed in her blue Han Bok, almost as good as me in the red Han Bok my Foster Mother, Mrs Lim gave me. Abba, Riley and good friends Lochie and Sam dressed in their Han Bok as Riley and I were taken through the DOLJABEE ceremony by each of our Abbas.
The Doljabee ceremony is a Korean tradition where a child is lead around a decorated table by their Abba. The first two items picked up by the child are said to be a fortelling of the Child's future.
I chose Jujube (red dates) and a pen. This means I will be a good scholar and have many descendants. Cousing Riley chose food and money. This means she will be prosperous and rich. What wonderful and exciting prospects we have.
I had a wonderful day and want to say a big Kamsa Hamnida (thank-you) to everyone who came to our party and joined in the fun and to all those who helped make the day great with food or helping set-up or clean up. I cannot forget too, all those wonderful people who could not make it to my party but sent cards, food and gifts to Riley and Me. Thank-you to all the photographers there to help record the day too.
To Every-one, Kamsa Hamnida! Enjoy the Pictures.
1 comment:
Sangil Chookahumnida Amelie.
Great photos, love the Hanboks.
Paul Turpie
Post a Comment